top of page

WI Training Requirements

Applicants for a Wisconsin Conceal Carry Permit must provide 1 of the following forms of firearms training.


  1. A copy of a Hunter Education certificate from Wisconsin’s Hunter Education program or a similar program that is established by another state and recognized by the Department of Natural Resources. Should your Wisconsin hunters education safety certificate become lost or destroyed, you may obtain another copy:

    1. Print it yourself from your Go Wild account online at WI.Gov. Once logged into your account and at your homepage, click on “Student Dashboard” in the Safety Education section, and then click the “Print Awarded Certificates” icon to print for free.

    2. Visit a Go Wild license agent. A $2 print processing fee will apply.

    3. Visit a DNR Service Center during their regular scheduled hours.

  2. A copy of a current or expired CCW license from another state that has not been revoked for cause.  You must also include form DJ-LE-289 affirming this fact.

  3. Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, Reserves, or National Guard.  Acceptable forms of documentation include a DD-214 or DD-256 form showing an honorable or general under honorable conditions discharge, a certificate of completion of basic training, or a service record of completion of small arms training.

  4. A certification letter from the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board or a letter from a Police Department stating you served as a police officer and completed training.

  5. Documentation that you completed private security training from the Department of Safety and Professional Services or a similar course in another state. Training must include a Firearms Certification of Proficiency.

  6. A certificate of completion from a firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors, a law enforcement agency, technical college, college, university, or an instructor certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors. If you participate in one of these courses, attach a copy of the certificate or affidavit from that course containing the following information: 


                     The applicant’s name.

                     The name of the firearms safety or training course.

                     The date on which the applicant completed the firearms safety or training course.

                     The name of the instructor who taught the firearms safety or training course     

                     and the name of the agency or organization that certified the instructor.

bottom of page